Saturday, May 10, 2008

Its Over

Well, it's official. I'm done. My dear, wonderful, patient, brilliant, fabulous advisor, one singular Peter Scheff, Saint of Saints, hooded me at the commencement last night, and it is over. For real. How do you thank someone who guided such a journey? How do you thank all the people along the way who listened to you, and helped you, and motivated you to achieve such a dream as this? I suppose the best tribute to pay is to take the tremendous responsibility that comes with knowledge and do good with it, to better the lives of others whose well being is, to some extent, in your hands. I can't think of anything I'd rather be doing than working with inspiring, resilient, smart folks in the communities to solve environmental problems (people like those in OLC). Together, as partners, we are doing good-protecting their families and working to ensure their basic human right to live in a healthy environment. We build capacity. We mobilize resources to get things done...to get these sites cleaned up, to educate residents on health issues, and to motivate politicians. It's not easy, but it's FUN. And it's beyond rewarding. I am so humbled and honored to do what I do every day. I am so priviledged to live in a country where I have had the luxury of getting an education that allows me to serve the public and strive with them to make their world better. To make our world better.

**Sorry about the long absence. Our computer is on the skids, and we are in the process of getting it fixed. soon. I have approximately a million videos to post when my computer will again recognize my external hard drive. I also have so much to say about our wonderful week and Gillian's very happy visit with her grandparents, and life in general.

1 comments:

JKJ said...

Congratulations! What a beautiful accomplishment - and even more beautiful your perspective on it as a gift. Blessings on you :)