Saturday, October 1, 2011

Greed

Gillian's favorite toys don't exist. She has a house full of everything-a giant Disney Princess castle, princesses and princes; she has paints and art supplies, she has dolls and books, and games. But she could live without any of it-because what she likes best in the world is to pretend.

Her favorite game is to play mermaids or princesses. Mermaids are all about the tub and morphing into a beautiful princess when you dry off your tail. It's about who is your baby and who's the mean witch. It's about pretending you have magic powers to make people "not be dead anymore" or well if they're sick...or it can bring about the existence of rainbow ponies. Just like that. Princesses is along the same lines, except there's more of a focus on going to balls and getting married.

I have a theory about this desire to pretend in lieu of toys. I mean, seriously, Gillian almost never asks for a specific toy unless we're standing in the toy aisle. My theory is that it's because Gillian doesn't watch commercials. I swear, I think that is where greed comes from in the under 12 jet-setters. We DVR everything, and none of those DVR'd shows have commercials. In fact, Sean and I were discussing this the other night and we realized we *never* watch live television, or even our own movies, in front of the kids.  So, no opportunity for seeing the smut of TV-the junk that everyone is trying to sell to everyone else.

I think that made her happier to be charitable with the toys from her birthday (even though her willingness was fabulous), and hopefully, any material goods. The real trick, I think, is to be charitable with herself-her time, love, and attention. I am still chewing on ways to internalize that.

0 comments: