Monday, February 28, 2011

Say "when"....

I have taken for granted all along that we would have a third child. "Maybe even a fourth!", I would exclaim in moments of wild optimism. I have a little problem with allowing the reality of any situation to rain on my plans, even if my plans, obvious to everyone but me, would strain me to a breaking point. But A and I were talking last night about how three (she also has two) would affect the financial outlook of our families and it got my mind going. I processed well into the hours when I should have been sleeping (hence the very little sleep I got last night). I decided that I AM GOING TO BE OK WITH TWO CHILDREN if that's what is best for us in the long run.

Wow. I typed it, so it must be true. It is really REALLY hard for me to accept that. Because I had just always thought we would have more.

If we were independently wealthy, or if I was a stay at home mom this would not enter my mind. If we lived in the same city as family, having backup would make the decision easier. But...there aren't federal jobs in my field where our family is.

Sooo, let me explain why the money matters...

When Gillian was a baby, we paid about a couple hundred dollars a week for her nanny to come three days/wk. That was a lot, but not bad at all when you consider what a lot of people pay for daycare. It was that cheap because we split the costs with another family (nannyshare) for two of the days to 1) make it more affordable and 2) to give Gillian some socialization. When Addie came along, we added Fridays with a Loyola student so Sean could have a 5 day work week, since everything he was producing at work was selling. That bumped the weekly output to about an extra hundred a week still nannysharing (2 kids, 4 days a week-this is VERY inexpensive if you are out of touch with what current childcare costs are). When Gillian started preschool, Addie still needed a nanny (that we still share), and we added 2 hours a day 4 days a week so Sean can have help in the mornings when he's getting G ready for school. So, now we pay out about the same each week for Addie because we are sharing every hour of care we use PLUS over $600 a month for Gillian's school. That adds up to about a couple thousand a month to have childcare for Addie and school for Gillian. That's a pretty nice chunk of our monthly income. It's more than our payment on our mortgage.

So, I was talking to A, I started thinking through what it would cost us to have that third child taken care of while paying for our girls to go to preschool and school. And I had never considered what that would mean before.

Well, here's what it would look like: $28,000 a year for one in K-8, one in preschool, and one at home with a nanny. OUCH.

That reality, and my desire to rationalize my decision that two is plenty given the finances, made me start to think of what other pros I could consider to make myself ok with two kids. Well, there's the fact that every family discount to everything on earth is made for families of four. There's the fact that we wouldn't have to buy a bigger car. We wouldn't have to worry about living in a 3 bedroom condo because the girls could both have their own room. I could actually stop hoarding my annual leave to supplement my short paid maternity leave and start going on a couple nice vacations every year and not sweat taking long weekends every now and then. I could, within less than 1.5 years, start working a reasonable schedule 8 hour schedule five days a week that could get me home in time to pick the girls up from school with a brief (cheap) 1-hour stint in aftercare. This schedule would allow me to go to the gym regularly since I would not have to leave my house at 5 am as well. I could also truly have the option of retirement at 45 if we weren't pressed to provide for yet another child ("retirement" being from government service. I have big plans for becoming a nurse practitioner, as you may recall, so it would be a career change, not a retirement per se).

Then, there is the emotional and developmental benefits. With two, Sean and I more effectively manage bedtime, sickness, meltdowns, discipline, and homework. We could give more attention to each child. We wouldn't be run as ragged. We would have more quality time if we weren't constantly intervening with behavior issues between siblings if there are fewer siblings. We could afford for the girls to do more things they (and we) want to do (dance classes, music lessons, etc.). We would never have to buy a new wardobe and gender-appropriate toys for the inevitable son who would come along. We would have more breathing room and more attention to our relationship, and there just isn't much of that right now. It literally makes me tear up when I think of the attention Addie wouldn't get with a third child. And, more importantly, the more independent they get, the more of my own life I could get back. You know, doing things for myself... weekend trips for fun, lessons-music, art, dance.... that kind of thing.

There is the option of having another child when Addie is in kindergarten too, so then we would be financially about where we are now, but that might not look so good by then. I'm not sure if we could go back to the sleep deprivation and exhaustion of another baby once we have kids out of diapers and in school. Addie still wakes up 1 or 2 times a night (at 20 months). I think I might be unwilling to deal with another poor sleeper when I have two other children to cultivate, love, and care for. I'm not closing the door forever, but I think it would give us pause...

So. Yeah. I think once again, I am realizing limits. For now, I guess we'll get on with the business of trying to do the best we can with the children we are blessed to already have.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice work, Mama! We're actually pretty sure we're finished with just one -- for many of the same reasons that two is enough for you. :)
One comment on the "pathetically short paid maternity leave" -- many of the people I work with get NO paid maternity leave. They use annual leave, and then get up to 12 weeks, but not paid. Just a guarantee that they won't get fired for having a baby. So, while 6 weeks is short, 6 weeks with full pay and full benefits (and still accruing leave!) is a very nice perk. Just something I've learned and appreciated a lot last fall. :)
Miss you, woman!

Michelle said...

True, Jane! I guess the United States is just cheap about it in general...but 6 weeks is better than nothing :-)

Wow, done with just one baby? Of course, Julia is absolutely perfect, so it's not bad to quit while you're ahead!!!

We need to talk soon! I miss you too!!! xoxoxoxoxox

sarah said...

we've been talking through a lot of these same issues. when asher was born i felt simultaneously that a) I wanted three, and b) three would be freaking hard. now I'm more feeling--wow, we seem sort of complete!

also, i'm been struck at how much even thinking "maybe I am done having kids!" made me feel differently about my body. it's like--wow, I might be free! All that manual labor I was planning on doing, all those days being tired, uncomfortable, leaky...I might not have to do that! and I hadn't realized that that sort of expectation was sort of weighing on me until I imagined myself without it. that's not how we'll ultimately make the decision, i guess, but it was an interesting thing to realize about myself.

huh! it's all so strange, this life!

Michelle said...

Sarah-EXACTLY. I feel like I just realized how it was weighing on me, but it took me being realistic about something very external (cash flow) to make me look inside myself and realize how stopping would allow me to take care of my own needs (I am not great about that, like most moms). I felt relieved. It was so weird. Like "I have a choice!"...where before I had never given myself one. We'll just operate under the premise that we won't have another, and if we get an itch and the stars align, we will give it a go later. We'll see if the future me wants to go back to the exhausted, tapped out me. Maybe future me will be more able to manage all this. Who knows? We will wait and see. Yes, life is so wonderfully, mystically strange.