Monday, May 31, 2010

Don't judge me

OK? My kid likes her pacifier. So sue me.

Chalk this up to one of those "shut yer trap, Michelle...you're kid will do things you never wanted her to do and you will let her, TO YOUR HORROR." I always thought kids looked kind of dopey sucking on pacifiers. And I was always like, "well, I'll tell you ONE thing. MY KID won't ever walk around with one of those stuck in her mouth all day long! (insert self righteously indignant annoying tone here)." Well, they form attachments at between 9-12 months with something, and it was picking holes in my skin or a pacifier. Do you blame me for my choice?

At any rate, I try to minimize this to bedtime only, but we do bring it on outings as well, just to keep the peace in an emergency. And also, when there is grass around...maybe we should also bring it to the beach to minimize Addie's pica ingestion hazards. Because Addie is not picky. She will eat grass, flowers, dust bunnies, wads of cat hair ripped out in a scuffle, rocks, dirt, or pocket change. Gillian was always much more discerning. She didn't care to taste anything, ever, including food. I always broke my arm patting myself on the back that Gillian's lovey ended up being burp cloths (organic, unbleached cotton, no less)-of which we have 10. No binkie for her. Now the Universe, ever the comedian, says "eat it Michelle."

1 comments:

Martha said...

Yes, and I started buying disposable diapers by the case at Sam's. I could list other examples but you get the idea. We all have to adapt to what life throws at us.