Monday, April 20, 2009

Remember?

Some words have concepts that are difficult to grasp when you're 2 and a half. I almost always talk with Gillian about her day when I'm tucking her in at night. Lately she is trying to use the word and concept "remember" like I do. The weird thing is that she asks me if I remember events I did not experience with her. Today she asked me if I remembered "when Julie just sat there being silly" and "when Papa stayed with [her] at naptime today, a little bit"? I find myself saying things that are so simple I blow my own mind...like "No, honey, I don't remember that because I wasn't there when that happened. You have to be there when something happens to be able to remember it". That's a pretty abstract thing to attempt to explain to a toddler, but wow, I really didn't expect to have such trippy conversational fodder (perception of reality, on a basic level) with my Very Little Girl.

0 comments: