Friday, September 26, 2008

So, I usually don't go HERE, but I have to say it...

Yesterday I informed an old friend I probably won't be able to make her wedding because I will likely be deployed to hurricane responses in October (history tells me with an active season like this one has been that it is very likely). In her defense she sent a "save the date" a year ago, but I am on a response team whose month is October, and there's not a lot I can do about it (this makes me very sad, and I will go if there's any way on earth I can). Her response was, "Maybe I should start by writing a letter to George W and tell him he screwed everything up for everyone." This statement kindof left me scratching my head. What I think that meant was that she believes the current economic crisis is Bush's fault since "so many other people can't come either". Or maybe she means the hurricane?

I hear a lot of name calling when my friends talk about George Bush. I hear a lot of name calling (ignorant, idiots, "Christian neandertals" (that was my favorite, btw), etc., etc.) when I hear people talk about supporters of George Bush, or Republicans, or Conservatives-whichever the case may be (remember the front of that British tabloid in 2004, "How could 49 million people be SO STUPID?"). I pretty much think a person can have quite high intellect and lean either direction, so I don't quite get all that. I would love to see people attack the issues, the decisions, and the actions with a little bit of informed political salvo. I don't love George Bush and I don't like a lot of his politics, but I don't think he is a red neck bible-thumping Yee-Haw hell bent on destroying the country. I think he loves the country, I think he is a spiritual man (good for him), and I think he lives by his convictions (for better or worse). And, you can pretty much guarantee morons don't make it to the White House. He's not an idiot, maybe an rigid idealist, but not stupid. It's very convenient to name call when you've got nothing else.

So, this brings me to my point. Laying the blame of this financial crisis at the feet of the Bush Administration is political myopia. This problem may have started a much longer time ago, thirty years or more, under Jimmy Carter with the passage of the Community Reinvestment Act (1977). This act essentially required lending institutions to "meet the needs of communities", and paved the way for relaxing income and credit requirements for the issuance of home loans. Under the Clinton Administration, more low and moderate income families owned homes than ever previously recorded and the trend toward risky lending became even more pronounced. Although the idea of allowing everyone to get loans, regardless of whether they qualify or can afford them, to own a home is altruistic to the highest degree, it is amazing (to me anyway) that anyone is surprised that when the practice extends into overinflated housing markets that the bubble will burst eventually.

In 2003, the Bush Administration, concerned about increasing financial risks, attempted to provide more federal oversite to Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, but it didn't fly. At the time, the congressional majority felt future planning was unnecessary, given the robustness of the financial sector. Barney Frank claimed this was unneeded because "These two entities -- Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac -- are not facing any kind of financial crisis, the more people exaggerate these problems, the more pressure there is on these companies, the less we will see in terms of affordable housing."

Then who is at fault here? The overinflated housing market caused by the stratospheric ascent of housing prices in the past two decades? The folks who took out loans they really probably couldn't afford? The "predatory lenders" who deliberately targeted lending toward low and middle income people, bending the rules for who qualifies, and who, for years were seeing record profits and bonuses for their execs (MILLIONs each)? The federal government (under FIVE different administrations) that did nothing to stop or try to oversee this dangerously swelling monster (even a little) because times were so good for the economy, and no one wanted to see it end by pulling in the reins a little?

At any rate, I almost think we are remiss to bail anyone out. I'm not interested in the government buying up that much debt using taxpayer money, even though the financial greed of these companies is only rivaled by the federal government's own desire to overlook looming risk, instead focusing on whatever it takes to continue facilitating a booming economy. Let's make no mistake. This bail out isn't for homeowners. That bail out already happened with a $300 billion dollar program to aid homeowners that will begin October 1st. This is politics at it's finest, folks. It would be interesting to see how this would be handled if this wasn't an election year.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow michelle, you're as dishonest as they come. Somehow you manage to use every republican talking point to lay the blame for everything at the feet of the only 2 democratic presidents in the last 40 years. you conveniently forget in your ridiculous analysis to talk about deregulation, trickle down economics and the fact that from 1994 to 2006 the republicans held control of congress. did you make this fiction up yourself or did you copy it from fox and friends. and also, please don't worry about anyone inviting you to weddings, since you have no problem trashing them as making no sense on your blog.

Michelle said...

The wonderful thing about this country is our freedom to agree to disagree. I don't think having a different opinion than you classifies me as "dishonest".

I gave you links to my sources (which, each day, include as many left leaning news sources as right-the ones cited here were the New York Times and LA Times), so read them yourself. My point was that FIVE administrations enabled the current situation, both rebublican and democrat (isn't that what I said?). If you have opinions based on fact, be specific (links to your sources would be great), and take a position. I'm not afraid of learning more (I have a great deal of tolerance and respect for all kinds of perspective and opinions), and I make a point of not calling people liars just because we may have different positions on things.

So, thank you Anonymous Poster, for making my point about how angry people get about politics, and how attacking a person's character is a very common M.O. when you can't be bothered to reply with a better argument.

Next time, include your name. I like knowing who is calling me dishonest :-) I hope the people that I call friends can enjoy spirited debates with differing opinions, respecting eachother enough to have these discussions without getting hateful about it.

By the way-I'm a liberatarian and vote independent, not a republican. I never voted for George Bush.

Anonymous said...

Here's a blog that explains why your post was dishonest more clearly than I can in the short comment section. Sometimes when it's a cloudy day out and someone's telling you it's clear out you have to actually admit it's dishonest.
http://malonigse.blogspot.com/

Michelle said...

A few points:
1) I want YOUR opinion, based on your analysis of the issues as you see them, weeded out of all the stories that come from all the bias of every writer out there. I don't want you to say, "yeah, this guy, I think what he thinks!".

2) I hardly expect a objective analysis from a fellow who was a lobbyist and senior executive of Fannie Mae (and who, I posit, was part of the problem). His spin is just as objectionable as any other.

3) Bill Maloni, while knowledgeable and around a long time, was as blind to this as anyone else. His theory that this all started in 2005 is laughable. Did you not notice the grotesquely swelling housing markets that were out of control well before that? My link to an article in Sept 1999 demonstrates that buying up risky loans at Fannie Mae started well before that. Bill said that "Fannie's and Freddie's problems were caused by Fannie and Freddie officials (**of which he was one, by the way**) gobbling up subprime securities for their portfolios. Period. End of story." So, record foreclosures has nothing to do with it? I don't buy it. In his own blog in August 2, 2007, Bill, railing against the *absurd* idea of a proposed GSE regulatory reform bill, said "A few days ago seven trade associations — all representing commercial banking interests — called on the Senate Banking Committee leadership to move expeditiously on its consideration of the GSE regulatory reform bill, a version of which having already passed in the House. The letter might be one the trades want back, since it was sent before Countrywide (**which is now belly up, as you know**) issued its market roiling second quarter report–suggesting payment problems in the prime mortgage market–and before this week’s American Home Mortgage funding problem."

He goes on to say, "But, now that the House Banking Committee has approved, as a separate piece of legislation, Chairman Barney Frank’s bill to create a GSE funded “affordable housing fund,” the outline is there for no GSE regulatory legislation this year, because of the aforementioned mortgage market problems. Primarily, because the nation’s mortgage markets might require strong, unfettered Fannie and Freddie to bail out the lenders and keep housing afloat." That plan worked wonders, don't you think??

Also interesting was his first blog post (March 2007). He scoffed "Senators and Congressmen will hear about “systemic risk” (the latest of the big GSEs lies), accounting scandals, insufficient capital, mission creep, and more tall tales produced by hearing witnesses and the paid anti-Fannie/Freddie agitators." And went on to say, "All GSE debt—no matter how much and who owns it--is backed by home mortgages and mortgage products, from every region in this nation. For the GSE mortgage portfolios to lose significant value, a titanic economic failure—which the world has never experienced, including in the “Great Depression”—would have to critically strike every single community in the nation and for a sustained period." Wrong and wrong. Fannie and Freddie were not immune to this type of economic failure, and they certainly didn't bail US out. Seems lots of folks had their head buried in the sand and didn't want to consider the fact that these two giants could ever fail. They did. Was government reform and oversight the answer? We'll never know. I think it couldn't have resulted in any worse outcome than what came of doing NOTHING.

At any rate, I again question the title "dishonest", particularly from someone who won't tell me who they are (coming on someone else's blog, insulting them, and then being too cowardly to do so is pretty dishonest, don't you think?). I am done with this exchange, because you haven't made an argument of your own. Pasting (or spouting off) someone else's in its stead doesn't count.