Sunday, May 20, 2007

Just a moment

Rocking Gillian tonight as she nursed, it hit me. Some day, painfully soon, she won't want to lay in my arms and play with my hair and gaze up at me. Some day, she won't bury her precious face in my neck for comfort, or affection, or because she is feeling shy. It must be so bittersweet-this parenthood thing-because you can't speed up some parts and slow down others. Your good days and hard days are interspersed...so you take them all together. The good days are really good, and the hard days are there to keep you humble, in case you start getting too comfortable.

There are so many little things I will miss when she is too big to do them anymore. Now, for the first time, I really understand when people say "enjoy them...they grow so fast..."

2 comments:

sarah said...

so weird, how time works. Truly, I think the first months of elliot's life lasted about seventeen years. and then right around christmas, things started to speed up. i suppose it only goes faster as they begin to change and develop more and more.

Anonymous said...

Michelle,
As a Mom who's oldest kid now has a 1)cell phone and 2)"myspace" page, I can tell you that seeing them grow up into "little" adults is just as rewarding, if not ever more, and the days you are cherishing now. Don't feel melancholy about Gillian growing up, I gaurantee you is the best adventure of your life and you will remember and cherish every turn of it!
Yes enjoy her now, but instead look forward to her growing so fast, just think of all the adventures you guys will have!

Happy Mother's Day!
Leslie & Brian