Thursday, February 1, 2007

Hungry eyes

No one ever told me that there would be times when I would feel objectified by my infant. When she would writhe in agony, arching her back in protest, whine dramatically as if she had been starved for weeks, until she saw me pull up my shirt (whining lessens, eyes become shiny and alert), unbutton my bra (chop licking begins), and bear The Boobie (all out staring, tongue out, excited to the point of hyperventilation). I can't help myself. I am offended by her blatant selfishness and carnality. It is especially offensive if she just ate 45 minutes ago. I want to shout from the rooftops "I AM MORE THAN TWO BREASTS, YOU BEAST! I HAVE A MIND AND A SOUL, AND DREAMS AND ASPIRATIONS!!"....oh..um...then I remember. She is an INFANT and a little over TWO MONTHS OLD (cognitively). Not only does nursing satisfy hunger, but it soothes mind and body..so it is vital, and cozy, and warm. But, it is true that there are times when you resent your ever-hungry-wanting-to-nurse infant who doesn't care if you need to massage your data a little better, or do the laundry, or take care of that bill, or talk to another adult FOR FIVE MINUTES. *sigh* I wish I had a contraption to just attach her and go about my day. Hmmm...maybe I should patent the idea. It worked for the Baby Einstein lady.

2 comments:

Cindy said...

Hi Michelle, sounds like being a mom is right up your alley, who woulda thunk it? You look so happy in your pictures. I love it!!! hugs, cindy

Michelle said...

Yes, it is definitely odd! Especially for peeps from the Bad Old Days, who knew me way back when. Lion King, anyone?