Friday, January 28, 2011

Our bedtime prayer

We are bringing Gillian up Catholic, as most of you know. We have endless amazing conversations about God and death and angels. I realize I haven't ever shared anything about this topic, so I'll start with our bedtime prayer.

We chose this prayer last summer, and Gillian learned it pretty fast. The reasons we chose this particular prayer are numerous. Sweet child's prayer? Check. Nice message? Check. Angels, blessings, humility? Check. Check. Check. No reference to dying in your sleep? Check!
*************************************
Now I lay me down to sleep
I pray the Lord my soul to keep
Guard me Jesus through the night
And wake me with the morning light.

Father in heaven hear my prayer
Keep me in thy loving care
Be my guide in all I do
And bless all those who love me too.

Matthew, Mark, Luke and John
Bless this bed I sleep upon
Four corners to my bed
Four angels surround my head
One to watch and one to pray
And two to keep all harm away.

Help us to do the things we should
To be to others kind and good
In all we do and all we say
To grow more loving every day.