Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Sleeping shambles

So, our most excellent sleeper is having issues. We're all having issues. My big plan (outlined in my previous post) to put G to bed later (9pm) didn't work. She still woke up, spry as ever, ready to play and greet the darkness with chipper little "HI MAMA! HI PAPA!"s in our ears at 6 am. Today made me decide we would try the opposite extreme. This morning she woke up at 5:30 am...fell asleep in her car seat at 9:30 am, slept 35 minutes, woke up ready to go go go, and then napped from 1:45-3pm. There were moments today when I was laying on the floor playing with her and caught myself dozing off while we were reading books (that's what weeks like this can do to a person). So, I decided to maybe try putting her down at her old bedtime- 7:15. I timed everything beautifully, and it seemed things were going well. We snuggled, rocked, had a bottle, read a book, and she seemed to want to go to bed. Just like the Good Old Days.

That is until a minute after I stopped responding to "Mama?" through the crack in the door and all hell broke loose. Screaming, freaking out, that gurgly cry that sounds like she's being strangled (I gave this 10 minutes)... I went back in to make sure she was ok and she got this huge smile on her tear-stained little face and said "NO Nite-Nite." Emphatically, just like that. The only thing that would have made it any more clear that she wasn't having any of this going to bed business would have been a good stomping of her tiny, very flat foot (thanks, Papa) to further articulate this flaming stubbornness. I gave her more Motrin, more Oragel, and held her next to her crib for 10 minutes or so. She seemed calm enough to try going to bed again (even leaning toward the mattress after some kisses like she always does), and this time, I was determined to let her scream until she went to sleep if necessary (since clearly the horrific demon cries were more because she didn't want to go to sleep that the fact that anything specific was wrong).

It was necessary. It took exactly 53 minutes for her to stop crying like that. 53 agonizing minutes that I spent wishing I could comfort her (and more specifically, make that sound stop). So much for putting her to bed early, since she cried herself to sleep at about 8:40... *sigh*

I have to think (and pray) that the reason for this is her molars (and not the new Way Things Are). I mean, the teething has correlated with the erratic sleep pattern. It's just that we're ALL exhausted and can't get any decent sleep. Why, when she can't even stay awake through mid-morning, would she continue to do this super early wake up routine?!? Thoughts/advice from anyone who has been through this? We're out of ideas...

***EDITED TO ADD (at 5am the next morning)***:
The end of this story: Gillian woke up at 1 am in pain (the cry gives it away), so we dosed her with Tylenol, Orajel, and gave her a bottle and she went back to sleep. She has been screaming since 4:45 am (when we dosed her with Motrin and Orajel), and is crying to "get down". I have to travel this morning and am leaving in 30 minutes. Needless to say it has been a rough night.

4 comments:

Martha said...

ACK. I'm sorry to say I don't have anything helpful to add. The 6am wakeup might just be the new norm -- that's very common among little folk. Laurel's always been up by 6:30 every day.

I have learned with her that putting her to bed before she's ready is total hell -- just like what you went through with G. For us it's not worth it b/c I know there's no hope that she'll actually sleep before she's ready; she'll just freak out until she eventually collapses. It happens rarely, but if she's just not ready/willing to go to bed, I give up & wait until she's really tired & ready.

Laurel's been waking up in the middle of the night crying sometimes lately but she goes right back to sleep again. My mom's theory is that she's "started" dreaming -- but haven't they done that all along? I dont' know. Maybe it's that the nature of their dreams is changing now. Early this morning I heard Laurel laughing in her sleep.

I also know that just before/during a big developmental milestone their sleep gets disturbed, so maybe that's part of it also?

One thought about the bottle you give G in the middle of the night -- could you be creating a new habit that she'll learn to expect/demand in the future?

GOOD LUCK...

Martha said...

PS: one other thought -- do you think she's getting enough exercise during the day? It makes a huge difference with Laurel. I'm surprised how much exercise she needs/likes. I make sure to wear her out but good every day, otherwise nap & bed times can be rough.

Obviously what's going on with G doesn't have a simple solution, but I thought maybe this could be one facet?

Martha said...

OK, I know this is a serious long shot but I figured I'd throw it out there anyway. Could your travelling be related to this in any way? Like maybe she's protesting b/c she wants her mama? I know you were just in Ohio recently, and you said you were leaving again this morning. Could she have seen your suitcase last night? Again, probably nothing, but you sounded desperate so I'm throwing out any & all ideas.

Michelle said...

I thought about the bottle thing (and trust me, we definitely DON'T want that to become a habit), but I really think when she feels ok she doesn't wake up. Last night she slept from 8 to 7, a normal night. She didn't want to go to bed, but she only protested a few minutes and she was out. This erratic pattern started after we got home from Florida and before I started travelling. Sean and I were talking and we realized the messy sleeping started when she started saying she had "boo boos" in her teeth. I just wish her teeth didn't come in so incredibly slow. That said, Sean and I went to bed at 9:30 last night and slept till 7, and all are well rested today (at least! ;-)