Sunday, August 3, 2008

Big Girl Bed

Gillian has started sleeping in her toddler bed. I put it together Tuesday, and couldn't get her off of it, she was so excited. I figured we'd just leave it there for her to check at at her leisure, and not pressure her to sleep in it. Thursday night she asked to sleep in it. I wasn't sure about how it would go. We did our usual routine, and it was time to go to sleep. I told her to get in her bed, which she did, and she asked for her sheet, like every night. I covered her and gave her a kiss and told her goodnight. As I was walking out, we did our little "Nite-nite" exchange a few times, per usual. As I was pulling the door to, I got a lump in my throat and a little eye stinging. "She's growing up", I, quite heavily, thought to myself. I didn't want to close the door and walk away. I desperately wanted to go pick her up and hug the last vestiges of baby to me, but I didn't. I was prepared for this transition to be tricky for her, but definitely wasn't prepared for it to be hard for me.

Since Thursday, she has slept in her bed every night. She loves her bed, and she sleeps the whole night through. I guess one day soon, we will break the crib down and store it. When I'm ready.

2 comments:

Martha said...

Look at that face! What a happy girl. You guys are very lucky the transition went so easily.

Roxanne said...

that is a great pic! I am finally catching up a bit on blogs. We are getting a big girl bed for mis a as well, crazy how big they are. Miss you a ton!