Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Febrile Seizure #3

At 1:30 this morning, Gillian's Tylenol wore off and her temp shot up to 105 degrees. She had another seizure, which I am sorry to say, we didn't witness (i.e., she was all alone convulsing, which is more than scary to me) because we only heard her strange monotone moaning afterwards in the monitor. We ran in, and she had vomited in her bed, was covered in sweat and blazing hot, unresponsive, and unable to move her limbs or head on her own (she really didn't move on her own until she woke up this morning). We called the doc on call at the clinic and talked about whether or not we should take her in to the ER, and decided if we could get her temp down we would avoid the scariness and hassle that the ER is.

I guess the really question is DO I NEED TO PUT HER IN A HERMETICALLY SEALED BUBBLE UNTIL SHE OUTGROWS THIS PHASE?!?! Maybe not that dramatic, but she definitely DOES need to be kept away from kids that have an illness involving fever (inasmuch as that is even possible). But really, with the potential for exposure to a virtual petri dish every time we go to the playground with fomites galore, it's anyone's guess how you begin to protect your kid from fevers. And given the fact that Tylenol wears off after 4 hours, there's a pretty good chance for Gillian to have a seizure over the course of the night. The lesson is that we will necessarily wake her to dose her from here on out.

Now I will turn my sights toward begging the Powers That Be to let her feel MUCH better before setting foot on the plane on Thursday. I still have the audacity to hope for an uneventful, stress free vacation.

2 comments:

Martha said...

That just plain scares the bejeezus out of me to think about. I am SO SO sorry you guys have to go through that. Hope the little one gets better soon, and if Laurel has any sign of sickness whatsoever we will keep her away for sure.

Martha said...

And so here's what I'm left wondering: will you ever be ok with taking the baby monitor out of her room? If I were you I'd want to keep it there until she goes off to college. Probably not something G. would appreciate, though...