Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Reaffirming my Faith in Humanity

I remember when I was pregnant that you really couldn't count on anyone to give up their seat on a train or bus for you, even if an obviously-pregnant you looked hot, miserable, and were putting pressure on the small of your back to ease the pressure. Death of chivalry? Nah. Just a lack of common courtesy. It's the same reason that all the 20-something businessmen avert their eyes and pretend they don't notice when an 80 year old woman with shopping bags gets on the train. They should stand up immediately and offer their seat. But they don't, and for that, they SUCK (I want to say as much as I try to guide the elderly person to my seat while staving off the oblivious folks that inadvertantly try to take the seat I am trying to give to said elderly person).

Anyhoo, today I had to go to the doctor, and Gillian had to come with me. My Metro Lite stroller doesn't feel so light now that I have a 19 pound baby and a 20 lb stroller to carry up and down the stairs at train stations that don't have elevators. But, a magical thing happened. At EVERY leg of my journey, a kind and wonderful man offered to help me carry Gillian up or down the stairs at the train station or in or out of the bus, or held the door for me. Big, scary, meaty men were playing peekaboo and waving at Gillian with big silly smiles on their faces each of the four legs of our trip, and she charmed all the boys in the waiting room at the doctor's office. She brought out the sweetness of every single person we met today with her unabashed flirtatiousness. How could someone NOT have a little happy rub off on them after seeing a delighted and pure little light like G's?

So, I want to say "Thank you, Universe!" for our wonderful experience. Although I could have managed by myself, it was so fabulous to have a little help...and as a Mama travelling solo, I so appreciated every act of kindness!

1 comments:

Roxanne said...

those days are the best! we miss you and hoep you and G are doing great!