Thursday, September 6, 2012

A Letter to Mrs. Woods

Addie had a note in her backpack with an update about her class and what was going on, and what they were learning. The teacher asked us to write them a letter from the child about the child. This is Addie's letter:

Dear Mrs. Wood and Mrs. Korni:

Hi, I’m Addie. You probably know that already, but just thought I’d introduce myself and tell you a little about me. I have a mama and a papa, a sister named Gillian (who is Nearly Six), a cat named Booger, and a hamster named Brownie. We live in a condo in Rogers Park near the Beach, Park, and lots of playgrounds (they’re my favorite!). I am playful and mischievous, and probably never stop talking from the second I get up to the second I finally get tired of trying to get out of bedtime and crash mid-sentence. Mama is pretty sure I’m going to give her a heart attack before I’m 10 because I have lots of courage and no sense of caution (case in point: Stitches in my mouth Easter Sunday because I fell at my beloved playground-at least we did our Easter Egg hunt pictures and Easter Mass beforehand). I am very different than Gillian, who was in Mrs. Woods’ class for two years. I am not as bossy, more independent, and less reasonable. I am equally as precocious, pigheaded, stubborn, and creative. My favorite things in the world are: animals (particularly doggies and horses, but our hamster Brownie is pretty fantastic), snuggle time with Mama, singing about the injustices of the world (example refrain, “I don’t wanna eat my bro-co-leeeee; no-no-no-no-no!!!!!!!”), playing at the playground with friends (though I am happy to play alone for hours), and playing Starfall on the computer (great learning website by the way-but you probably already know that: http://www.starfall.com).  Things I don’t like to do: eat (I like about 10 food items, and mama tries, unsuccessfully, all the time to get me to try new things, plus, I’m way too busy), get my teeth and hair brushed (especially my crazy hair), and get up for school in the morning. I could care less about girly things, though I like Gillian’s Barbies more than she does (you will find me as the one acting like a dog in a playdate sea of princesses, for example). I am very physical, very talkative, and love to play pretend with my animals, Polly Pockets, and Barbies.
I am also very sensitive, and crumble immediately when both parents show disappointment or chastise me for something (this manifests itself with a weird, fake laugh while my eyes fill with tears). I like to zoom in for a hug and quick affection every now and then before getting back to the business of being me-playful, silly, and focused on the things I am interested in. Please be patient with me if I’m belligerent-it’s in my DNA. My security rests in routine, like all kids, and knowing I am loved (also like all kids) so firm, but lovingly enforced boundaries (and a hug every now and then) work best for me.
I left the care of a nanny I have had since I was born the Friday before school started (that Haukie shared with me), so we are both having a hard time acclimating, though we are doing better this week. You probably notice that we’re besties and are attached at the hip-we have always gotten along beautifully, and have known eachother since we were 13 months old. Our mamas thought a familiar face in the class would make this easier on us since we’re such young preschoolers.
Thanks ahead of time for all the love and all the patience.
Love,
Adelaide

0 comments: