Monday, October 19, 2009

A wrinkle in time?

Gillian is saying interesting things about "when [she] was a baby" or "when [she] was a little girl". Sometimes it's all mystical, like "when I was a little girl, I slept inside the purple sun and he wrapped his rays around me like a big hug". Sometimes she says things like "when I was a baby, I use to say "guh...guh...guh" because I couldn't say "garden", remember mama?".

Today she said "Mama, when you were my baby, you use to like wearing a yellow dress with a flower on it". She went on to tell me that as a baby I also liked to eat bananas and play in the bathtub. I really don't like to dismiss these things because I think she has demonstrated a really remarkable memory. I mean, she remembers things that actually happened when we were at the beach in June of 2008...selectively, but still (out of the blue she will say "remember that time we were at the beach and Nonni hurt her foot?" or something like that). So, when she says "when I was a baby...." I want to think she might actually remember not being able to say "garden", or whatever. But it kindof freaks me out to think she might remember a past life where I was her baby. I mean, the whole kindred spirits thing might not be complete foolishness; I try to keep an open mind about these things. Besides, everything she says might be true given how terrible my memory is about life's minutia (Gillian and Sean have tht market covered). That is why I blog.

In other news, I think I am going to decorate my house with her art because I LOVE IT. It's like modern art with an edge. I seriously am going to frame a few things because they blow my mind. Some are simple paintings that look Miro like (my favorite artist in the world; the pilgrimage to Barcelona to go to his museum was worth it!!) and some are more abstract and complex, all with names as beautiful and strange. I will upload some photos of her art when I am able. Have I mentioned how hard it is to not be able to get at the pics on my camera?

0 comments: