Saturday, July 5, 2008

Vacation (v.2)

Many of you are aware that Sean, Gilly, and I had our first vacation away (not related to holidays, which aren't terribly relaxing anyway) in about three years from June 19-29. We had the good fortune of being able to vacation with Nonni and Grandaddy, which not only entertained Gillian to no end, but freed us up to sleep, do yoga (me), and relax a little. OK, a LOT. They rented an absolutely gorgeous condo on the beach, which was ocean side and sported a massive porch where we spent lots of time talking, bonding, reading, and just thinking, sipping some variety of fruity beachy cocktail.


The view (sunrise, morning 1):
Our lazy days started with waking up when we felt like it (Nonni said "I'll get Gillian up" and we said "twist our arms!"). But, in spite of that, I woke up pretty early every day. I couldn't leave my internal clock at home, unfortunately. That was not an issue for Sean. We would do yoga before everyone else woke up (me), have a leisurely breakfast, read the paper, drink coffee (Sean) and chat in the morning. Then Sean would go down and set up our umbrellas, chairs, and toys at the perfect spot (right in front of our porch, but on the water), and we would mosey down there somewhere around 10. After a couple of hours of playing in the sand and swimming in the fabulously warm ocean (which I appreciate even more after this morning's trip to the beach and experiencing the NOT EVEN CLOSE TO WARM lake), we would leave our stuff down there, take G to the pool to rinse off and work on her swimming skills, and come back in for lunch, and naptime (definitely for G, but for anyone if they also needed a nap after ALL THAT WORK). Of course, this was my opportunity to read the first novel I have read since Gillian was born, sipping on a Stawberry Daquari or some other bit of blissfull fluff, lounging on the magnificent porch. Sometimes I would languidly dose, lulled to sleep by the beautiful peace of the melodic sound of breaking waves that stretched out before my cozy vantage point. When Gilly would wake, she had lunch, and we went back out for round 2 of beach time, with more fruity beverages, fresh fruit like pineapples or berries, and a whole different mindset and work and life seemed to float away. Repeat pool, then showers, dinner, and maybe a walk on the beach at sunset to complete the perfect day of doing absolutely nothing. I could get use to it, living that way. I bet I could do it at least a month before losing my mind from boredom. It was fantastic, and was exactly what a vacation is supposed to be.



We got to visit with family, spent much quality time with Nonni and Grandaddy, had a great night of dinner and talking with Sean's Grandmother one night and uncle Shep and Aunt Eleanor another night, and got to visit with Sean's sister Kim for dinner a couple of nights. My brother's wife, Dawn, and her sister came over to visit us one evening as well.
Sean and I each got to visit with old best friends as well, and we are all parents, so that was a blast, too. Marti, who I have known since the ripe old age of 14, and her husband Ty and beautiful daughter Laurel (who is a few months younger than G (birth age), and only 1 month (gestationally) younger) stayed with us for a couple of nights and enjoyed the beach with us. We had hoped for magical linking of their spirits like ours are linked, but I think they're not there just yet. Gillian was a little aggressive and jealous of Laurel being in her space, and Laurel was a bit shy and reserved, so we are thinking mystical bonding might be more realistic when they are a little more cognitively developed and interact a little more. Marti and I had plenty of mystical bonding-over fat-free brownies (not an oxymoron any more, my friends, as she showed me the light!), not fat free doughnuts, tantrum throwing children...er, um I mean the Joys of Motherhood, a more picturesque sunset walk, and an evening overlooking the ocean (the only not magical thing was the visiting roach friends that were hanging out on the walls and were about 2 inches long (interesting they didn't bother us, but I remembered one more thing that is great about living in Chicago-we haven't seen a roach up here in almost 7 years). Either way, we were so happy they were able to join us, and we finally got to meet eachother's girl. We marveled at the fact that somewhere in continuum of this existence, are two 16 year old us's that are snorting and rolling their self-righteous eyes at our grown-up, sell-out selves. All those poems we wrote about finding truth, and searching the ends of the Earth to obtain it...all that soul searching at Sanibel Island, and in State Parks, all that wild abandon, and heartbreak, and we found peace in what we once considered mundane. Who knew that real Love, real Truth, would be found in the everyday? Ahhhh....so, at last, we realized that THAT is what the Great Masters meant. I have so loved our journey, my dear friend!


Sean's old friend Andy and his wife Erin and their sweet, quiet little boy James came by for dinner one night as well. It was so nice to catch up and visit with them.

In general, with the exception of some attachment issues, it couldn't have been more fantastic, more ideal, more comfortable, and more enjoyable (they could try recycling at Jax Beach, but I digress). Many thanks to Suzi, who is the über Grandmother, mother, and mother in law, and who made everything perfect for us and for Gilly (and who, trying to cheerfully kiss Gillian goodbye at the airport, made me understand what the Pain of Separation really is (this is why I had a lump in my throat-know that she loves you just as much)). And many thanks to Bill, whose warmth, wisdom, and stories make every visit feel as comfortable as an old shoe. I believe Bill told me once that the recipe for a happy life is Family, Faith, and Purpose. We are so lucky to have such abundance.
(more pics, should you want to see MORE, are here).

1 comments:

Martha said...

BEAUTIFULLY said and so very true. I pasted your paragraph about us into the Mother's Journal that I'm keeping for Laurel. I love that we were able to keep growing and changing as people to find this beautiful kind of life. It takes guts to reconsider ideas/paths you once looked down on & admit you were wrong. Or maybe just painful desperation?? Heh.

She & G will come around eventually, and if they don't end up super tight that's ok, too. Your pics of G & Francie are fabulous; it is just plain awesome that they have each other.

I'm hoping to get L matched up with some close friends, too. There's one girl in our playgroup named Sophia who seems very similar to her but b/c they're both the sweet/reserved type, when they get around each other they clam up! They smile & act very cute but they won't interact!

Laurel really likes Sophia & kept asking about her at our last playdate, but when I lead her over to Sophia she got about 10 feet away, smiled at her, then ran away smiling and hid behind a jungle gym peeking out at her. Meanwhile Sophia's clinging to her mom doing the peekaboo/smile thing back at Laurel. This one's gonna be a challenge...