Thursday, December 6, 2007

Bye Bye Boobies

We are down to nursing twice a day now. It was inevitable with me working full time. At first I pumped three times a day at work for a few months, then twice a day for a few months, then the past month and a half or so, I was only pumping once a day. When I started getting just 2 or 3 ounces during that session, I decided I was officially over lugging my fraying pump backpack on the train every day (consequently, this coincided with having to start wearing my winter coat...the one where you have to dislocate your shoulders to get the backpack straps on and off). And I decided it wasn't worth the hassle of trying to get into the lactation room at work to wash the parts when I was finished. Pumping just sucks, people, and I have been pumping for going on 15 months, and I am tired.

When I work, G nurses in the morning before I go and when I put her down to bed. Both require supplementing with formula these days, and she seems to care less. In fact, if it takes me too long to let down she gives up and fusses and tries to sit up. She has to be relaxed (hence early morning, later evening) to be in the mood to wait. So, we're naturally waning, our breastfeeding sun is setting, and although it is sad, I have to say the idea of having my breasts back, all to myself, is a happy notion.

But, I have to tell you, the girls aren't exactly the same after working so hard the past 15 months. Suzi said they would be like deflated balloons. I hoped I might escape this fate, as I had heard the same from many other women. Even though I haven't completely run out of milk, I can see the hint of what I'm in for after G is done eating and we are empty. My former firm, round, pride and joy might become more like soft malleable crescent moons. But...I'll wear these butterflies with pride!

1 comments:

Roxanne said...

you did awesome! G is healthy and happy and your boobies great mad kudos! I gotta say it was sad to be done nursing for like 1 day and then I was happy to have my girls back (well, they are much less perky and considerably deflated) but at least they are mine!