Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Buzzard

It appears we are approaching Part II of the Picky Eating Phase. Gillian is starting to refuse spoon feedings again. Oh, how I have enjoyed her being willing to eat off a spoon these past two months...*sigh* But, that's not to say that even if she eats decently well and wants down from the table that she won't come and solicit food from your plate. If you give her a bite, then she's hooked, pointing and wanting more...and if she doesn't want to EAT more, she definitely wants to play in it. If you have the misfortune of still eating when she's done, there will probably be a lot of whining and pulling at your fingers in an attempt to get you to walk with her. This is particularly non-conducive to a peaceful, relaxing pace of eating (but finish my food, I do, whining and pulling of fingers and all). Last week when I was in one such unfortunate circumstance, she pushed my plate away and said "All Done!", grabbed my hand and said "wok?". The nerve of this kid! At least she knows what she wants...right?




Last night we didn't time dinner well with G's need to eat, so I fed her at the usual time, and our dinner was ready about 30 minutes later. We didn't even bother to try sitting at the kitchen table, and brought the food into the living room on trays. Sean was brave enough to sit on the couch with his. I stood at the desk and ate mine (stood because G can still be sufficiently irritating to eat around if she can get close enough to you). At one point, Gillian helping herself to his food, he said, "How you doin' over there?" I raised my glass of wine in a salute to his sacrifice. Yep-it's like THAT.

So, to the childless reading this entry-enjoy those wonderful days of being able to eat with two hands and in peace. I use to take that for granted, but not anymore. Gone are the days of savoring each bite, a nice adult conversation, and maybe even a little romance. I feel like I have A.D.D. when I am trying to eat with a friend and I have Gillian, or even worse, if we both have young children. Every other sentence is interrupted by retrieving toys, acknowledging what the child is trying to get across, or damage control (moving everything out of their reach, trying to keep the crayons from being ground into the table linen or table surface, etc). There is no such thing as fluidity in conversations at tables with young children, and it is almost not worth paying to eat out if you can't relax and enjoy it. Ho-Hum.

1 comments:

Roxanne said...

so agree about the eating thing,i actually find myself eating too fast a lot of times b/c I am afraid the moment will pass and it will be stone cold. We aregoing out to dinner tonight sans baby for Jason's b-day and I will eat with both hands, a fork, & real knife and toast to you :)