Sunday, September 9, 2007

"Crawling"

This post is called "crawling" because Gillian doesn't really crawl, exactly....she kinda crawls, but mostly scoots around. Amazingly, she is getting quick enough to follow me around. Even more amazingly, no matter how recently the floor was mopped, there is enough cat hair to knit a sweater stuck to her diaper by the time I change it.

We are in ernest going to have to really start paying attention to what's on the floor, because Gillian is finely tuned in to details and likes nothing better than a little present on the beaten path, or even on the side of the beaten path. Little presents go in her mouth. Examples of things I had to fish out of her mouth in the past 24 hours:

1) wood chips from the bottom of Sean's shoes
2) a piece of plastic that broke off the pull cord for the blinds (I went after where I saw it go, and by the time I turned around, Gillian had another piece of it in her mouth)
3) cat food
4) A God-knows-how-old blueberry
5) small wad of cat hair from some an inconspicuous corner
6) small clump of lint from the laundry room when she was helping me fold stuff
7) dental floss (the trashcan in the bathroom is now a problem I hadn't forseen).

Anyhoo, life certainly is more interesting now that I have to be hawkishly vigilant every second lest my child choke to death on something completely tasteless, but interesting enough looking to try anyway.

Another milestone-her first top tooth has come through her gums. I wasn't hallucinating! Maybe my intuition is becoming more tuned in...YAY-the recent whining and low grade fever had immediate results.

I leave you with a video of the zigzag scoot (which you saw a little of in the pen video below). It's not glamorous, but it works. And we're all pragmatic around here. Oh, and she is a very chatty girl, obviously.

3 comments:

Roxanne said...

teeth and crawling- You go Gilly!! Anni has now taken 12 steps adn we too are dicovering how many things are now at the "bad" level :) your pics from PI are tooo cute!! What an adorable family!!

Cindy said...

That boot scoot boogie Gillian has perfected is sooooooo adorable and I've never seen a kid do that before. I don't know why you'd need to sweep or mop, just velcro a Swiffer mophead to her diaper and let her scoot around : )
You'd have the cleanest floors in Chicago!

Michelle said...

Hey Rox-

You might recognize the dresses in her web album!! Thanks for letting us borrow such cute duds!...and Go Anni with her advanced walking skillz!